I began reading Mary Roach’s book Gulp, Adventures on the Alimentary Canal yesterday. I’m only 80 pages in, but this footnote on page 43 really caught my attention:
“Pet foods come in a variety of flavors because that’s what we humans like*
*Or that is what we think we like. In reality, the average person eats no more than about thirty foods on a regular basis. “It’s very restricted,” says Adam Drewnowski, director of the University of Washington Center on Obesity Research, who did the tallying. Most people ran through their entire repertoire in four days.” “
This is something I’ve always known about myself. It’s a bit of joke, really, because my husband loves to eat out, and there are times I tell him to take the kids without me because I just want to stay home and eat “my regular food,” ie a bowl or cereal or a can of soup.
I thought other people, people who are not picky eaters, were eating a greater variety of foods than I was. Apparently not. They’re just eating burgers instead of lentil soup.
This is my list. It started out in order, but I think I lost that at some point.
- Fage Greek Yogurt, plain, non-fat. I eat it for breakfast with fruit and granola almost every day.
- Lindt 85% dark chocolate. I eat one square almost every day.
- Coach’s Oats. I didn’t start eating oatmeal until I discovered this brand. It’s my go-to night snack when I haven’t eaten enough that day.
- Cashews, unsalted. Another go-to snack.
- Eggs, scrambled, usually with salsa.
- Oat Bran Pumpkin Walnut Muffins. Either for breakfast or nighttime snack.
- Pineapple. I love fresh pineapple.
- Blackberries or Raspberries.
- Apples most of the year. Peaches or plums or apricots in summer.
- Tofu. I eat tofu at least twice a week.
- Onions. I think half of what I cook might contain onions. And/or garlic
- Brown Rice.
- Peppers, all sorts – Bell, Serrano, Jalepeno. At least once a week dinner includes peppers.
- Strawberries in summer. Oranges in winter.
- Amy’s Organic low-salt Lentil Soup or Lentil-Vegetable Soup. I’m listing them together. I eat a can of soup for lunch 2/3 times a week.
- Tasty Bite Madras Lentils. Another lunch, at least once a week. Yes, I really like lentils.
- Cereal and Milk. I don’t eat this as much as I used to, but it’s still on my list.
- Winter squash – Butternut or Spaghetti.
- Summer Squash, yellow or Mexican or zuchinni.
- Black beans. I eat other kinds, but I eat black beans more than the others.
- Pasta. We eat pasta maybe every other week.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Feta Cheese.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
That was harder than I thought it would be. I’m not sure if I cheated by grouping foods together or by not listing olive oil, but I think I covered the core of my diet.
What are your 30 foods? Or even your top ten?